Philips electric shavers are the leaders when it comes to rotary shaving, whereby you take the shaver in slow circular motions, like you would when applying a lotion on your face. Rotary shaving is common in shaving the face and cheeks, as it smoothens thoroughly without irritating the skin. The Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D is a leader in this category. This brand has 3 independent foils, each with rotating blades; each foil can be tilted upward or downward, so as to reach all contours of your face or head when shaving. The 3D used in its name, is used in reference to the ability of the 3 foils and blades to be independently tilted or spun. This is the best best foil shaver in the market.
1. It’s affordable: The Norelco 8800 series is not among the most expensive shavers and rightly so, for it has no automatic cleaning system.
2. You Can Save Power: thanks to the power save mode in this shaver, you can charge your Norelco shaver and shave for a full hour before needing a recharge. By using the auto travel lock in this shaver, you are assured of a smooth travel. Most Philip shavers (Norelco series 8100 and 8000) lack the, latter function, making them switch on while in the bag pack; and the result is no charge, hence no shaving when you arrive at your destination.
3. Complete Numeric Display: aside from the common LCD feature found in Philips 8100 and 8000 series, the Norelco 8800 1290x/46 has an additional numeric display that’s easy to read for new users.
4. Longer Shave Time: When compared to other shavers, this model has a shaving capability of 60 minutes (most boast of a 50 minute long duration).
5. Durable: the Norelco 8800 shaver will serve you for up to 2 years if only with proper maintenance. You just need to ensure that you replace the blades every year. The Battery life on the other hand can last you many years as long as you avoid frequent small charges and long-time shaving.
1. For all its affordability and functionality, the Norelco 8800 is poorly built; it has plastic and rubber everywhere.
2. Secondly, the battery is not replaceable, while spare parts are hard to find (seems this is a common trait with all Phillips brands). This means that if the battery were to develop a problem, you’d have to throw away or do away with this shaver, no matter how new or effective you find it.
This shaver looks great, but its feel is cheap (remember it is all rubber and plastic). Plus, if the battery developed problems, you’d have to replace the whole shaver since batteries are not removable. Perhaps 7, on a scale of 1 to 10 would be my honest ranking in the list of best electric beard trimmer.